Making DofE expeditions a fantastic, rewarding journey.
The qualifying expedition comprises a pre-expedition day where you’ll meet your assessor and other participants and prepare for your expedition. There then follows a 4 day expedition in ‘wild country’ during which you’ll be assessed according to the 20 conditions as set out by the DofE award.
An example of a Gold qualifying expedition will look something like this:
Day 1 – Pre Expedition Day.
- Arrive late morning at specified campsite.
- Meet your assessor and other participants; kit checks; set up camp.
- Short acclimatisation walk.
- Cook your dinner on camping stove.
- Overnight camp at campsite.
Days 2,3,4 and 5 – Qualifying Expedition.
- Participants assessed according to the 20 conditions and remotely supervised by Learn Outdoors staff.
- Camping will be on two quiet campsites and a wild camp.
- Finish with assessor debrief.
- You’ll have the opportunity access refreshments at a visitor centre or shops/eating establishments according to location.